It isn’t hard to get confused with similar names yet different prices while looking for tech stuff. So, while you may have narrowed your choice of a router down to Netgear routers, here’s a simple yet handy guide for you to decide on the best option for yourself to build an amazing home network.
- 1 Similarities Between the NETGEAR R6400, R6700 & R7000 Routers
- 2 Netgear R6400 Vs R6700 Vs R7000 (Which one is better)
Similarities Between the NETGEAR R6400, R6700 & R7000 Routers
Let us first go through the main components that are similar in all three of these routers.
- Each router under the Netgear name is of dual bandwidth 802.11ac routers. This means that each processor is capable of increasing the speed by simultaneously broadcasting two signals, one of 2.4Ghz over a smaller range but using the ac frequency while the other is of 5GHz ‘n’ standard over a wider area range. This dual bandwidth increases signal efficiency and the transmission rate by allowing two simultaneous paths.
- The Netgear routers use the beamforming technology to increase the signal strength within your homes by countering the blind spots with radio signals. It uses software to improve the signal quality over the 5GHz bandwidth.
- In order to directly connect devices to your router in your home network, each router provides multiple ethernet ports. The total ports provided by the routers are 5, 1 WAN and 4 LAN ports. The 4 LAN ports are used for direct connection establishment while the single WAN port provided is not necessarily used in such a local network.
- The best feature provided by the listed routers is the guest network. We know how much of a big hassle it is to through the password authentication process, so using this feature guests in your house can have easy unauthorized access to the network. This feature can be easily turned on and off, to provide the simplest access to Wi-fi.
- We all sure do love to stream our favourite programs and TV shows but what happens to the streaming when we have to download huge work files. So, worry no more as these routers come with a streaming optimization feature which allows the network traffic to be altered in such a way that the bandwidth is divided by giving enough power to the streaming channel for efficient streaming while the rest of the bandwidth is divided among the other sources. So, worry no more as smooth streaming is not on its way.
Netgear R6400 Vs R6700 Vs R7000 (Which one is better)
Netgear R6400 Processor
The main aspect that distinguishes this router from the other two is its small processor. Having an 800MHz processor may be considered slow as compare to the other two due to its slow processing power but it may be the best candidate for lightweight use.
This simply means that while the other two may be able to process information at a rate of one billion per second, a single core of the Netgear R6400 lets you do that a speed of eight hundred million bits per second. But the dual-core aspect increases the speed up to 1.6 billion bits. This change in speed sure does affect the other features available.
The Netgear R6400 tends to be lighter on the pocket as compared to the other two. At a very good price, you can easily get a router that meets all your needs. You can check out the price here.
The Netgear R6400 has two USB ports, 1x USB2.0, 1x USB3.0. This allows the connection of multiple devices to the router in your home network. You can use this feature to attach a printer or a network storage unit to the router.
It has a similar speed range as the other router in the Netgear R600 series, which happens to be AC1700(450+1300). These AC1700 routers tend to be slower in speed which may hinder the usage.
Netgear R6700 Processor
As compared to the formerly discussed router, the Netgear R7000 provides us with a powerful processor of 1GHz. This processing power of one billion bits per second supports the Beamforming+ and streaming optimization features to go as fast as they are designed. While the previous one only supported 800 million bits of data, this processor using its dual bandwidth and processing power of one billion bits of data increases the efficiency of the network and provided easy transmission.
Like the Netgear R6400, the R6700 is also light on the pocket with only a couple of extra dollars in the price. It can be found here.
In comparison to the other two routers under discussion, the R6700 comes with a little drawback. It provides a single USB3.0 port. But it may end up being an unnoticeable difference if you do not plan on using multiple USB devices which is the case in most home networks.
Like the previous one, the Netgear R6700 provides us with a speed range of AC1750 (450 + 1300). This may be slow as compared to the R7000 series but still provides a great use of the beamforming and streaming optimization feature.
Netgear R7000 Processor
Similar to the previously discussed router, the Netgear R7000 provides us with a fast processing speed of one billion bits per second as it supports a 1GHZ processor. This 1Ghz processor is powerful and capable of seamless data transmission across networks.
The R7000 as compared to the other two is a little on the pricey end but the feature it provides sure does justify the money. ‘You can check out the product price here.
The Netgear R7000 houses two USB ports, 1x USB2.0, 1x USB3.0, which allows the connection of multiple USB devices such as a printer or network storage to build a fully functional work/home network just for your ease.
The major difference that distinguishes R7000 and puts it on top of the others is the speed, AC1900 (600 + 1300). This means that the AC1900 has a way better speed as compared to the AC1750s.
Now you’re probably wondering, they all seem good so which one should I get? Even though it all depends on your requirements and either one of them could be the best option for you, but if you’re really asking for our opinion, we recommend the Netgear R7000 router. With all its amazing qualities what makes it stands out among the others is the extra 2.4GHz frequency bandwidth it provides. The extra money you pay sure does take you a long way as the R700 is designed to go a long way as the extra bandwidth allows it to be used by older devices.
From hindrance free transmission to easy and smooth access to in-home Wi-fi, the Netgear routers provide you with a wide range of options and there is definitely one that is exactly the right option for you. So that’s what we think about the top picks. Hope this guide helps you in picking the best Netgear router